About the dais behind him, on Wednesday, April 28, 2021.
President Joe Biden’s choice to reverse Donald Trump’s denial of Department of Justice permits to sanctuary authorities means New York will receive more than 30 million to public safety, the nation’s Attorney General Letitia James (D) declared on Tuesday.
“Public safety and our capacity to secure our communities shouldn’t be jeopardized by politics,” James wrote in a statement.
The Edward Byrne Memorial Justice Assistance Grant program, called Byrne JAG capital for short, was called after late New York City Police Officer Eddie Byrne, who had been imprisoned at the line of duty in 1988.
Trump’s Justice Department denied up to 385 million in those grants to sanctuary authorities, the states and cities preferring to limit local collaboration with national authorities on immigration.
Despite winning on the trial level, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit let Trump’s Justice Department to proceed with this limitation. Four additional national courts, the First, Third, Seventh and Ninth Circuit Courts of Appeal, had mastered differently.
Trump reversed the Second Circuit conservative having an appointment at late 2019.
The circuit split had spelled out a Supreme Court battle, before the large court dropped the case at the Biden administration’s request.
“For years, the Byrne JAG grant application was a crucial source of national financing because of our efforts to protect New Yorkers, which explains the reason why the former president efforts to maintain such grant funds hostage was so unconscionable,” James wrote. “We are pleased that the Biden administration has eliminated the immigration-related states, which New York can now access the more than $30 million of grant funds which have stood in limbo over the previous four decades. This action will ensure that states and localities do not have to choose between protecting their autonomy and protecting security.”
On Monday, the Biden administration signaled plans to reverse additional Trump-era immigration policies and said that undertaking would be hard.
“The sad truth is that we will not reach 62,500 admissions this season. We are working fast to reverse the harm of the previous four decades,” the president said in a statement. “It will take some time, but that work is underway. We’ve reopened the program to new refugees. And by changing the regional allocations this past month, we have increased the amount of refugees prepared for passing to the USA.”
That decision followed criticism inside his partyincluding Senate Judiciary Chair Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) –about projections which Biden is on track toward acknowledging fewer refugees in his first year than any other president. Biden quickly announced plans to raise the cap following that criticism.
Biden’s Department of Homeland Security declared the Family Reunification Task Force that he empaneled has started the work of reuniting the first group of families. The task force’s initial report is supposed to be released on June 2.
(Melina Mara/The Washington Post via Getty)
Have a suggestion we must know?